100 years ago this November, Foreign Secretary Lord Balfour wrote to Lord Rothschild making a historic declaration of British support for “a national home for the Jewish people”.
Make sure you book a ticket for We Believe in Israel’s Activist Conference on the Balfour Centenary, taking place in North London on Sunday 25 June, here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/balfour-centenary-activist-conference-tickets-34715234200.
The venue has car parking on site and nearby, and a light Kosher lunch is provided. The event runs from 11am to 4.30pm.
The conference will cover everything you need to know about the Centenary of the Balfour Declaration, the momentous statement when the British Government chose to recognise the longing of the Jewish people to re-establish its national homeland in the land of Israel. The conference will cover both the history of the declaration, its implications for Israel now, and practical campaign skills to promote the Centenary and defend its legacy against those who seek to delegitimise Israel. It will also be a great opportunity to meet and network with other supporters of Israel.
Speakers will include:
- Yossi Kupperwasser (former chief of the research division in IDF Military Intelligence, and former director general of the Ministry of Strategic Affairs)
- A Senior Israeli Diplomat
- Lord Turnberg (StandWithUs UK and author of “Beyond the Balfour Declaration The 100-Year Quest for Israeli–Palestinian Peace”)
- Simon Johnson (CEO, Jewish Leadership Council)
- Gillian Merron (CEO, Board of Deputies of British Jews)
- Dr Toby Greene (Senior Research Associate for BICOM and an Israel Institute Post-Doctoral Fellow)
Breakout sessions will cover topics including:
- Who are our opponents and why is Balfour 100 important to them?(Luke Akehurst, We Believe in Israel)
- Talking about Balfour 100 in the media (James Sorene, BICOM)
- Debating Balfour 100 (Professor Alan Johnson, BICOM)
- Running a Balfour 100 themed street stall (Nigel Goodrich, Confederation of Fro & Judy Weleminsky, Pro-Israel Pro-Palestinian Pro-Peace)
- Dealing with Balfour 100 on social media (Arieh Miller, Zionist Federation)
- The history of the Balfour Declaration (Dr Toby Greene, BICOM & Professor David Stone, StandWithUs UK)
- Balfour 100 on campus (Josh Seitler and Josh Holt, Union of Jewish Students)
- Churches and Balfour (Steven Jaffe, Board of Deputies of British Jews, Fran Waddams, Anglicans Friends of Israel, Oliver Manyemba, Christian Watchmen over Zion, and Nick Gray, Christian Middle East Watch)
- Balfour and Israel’s Rights in International Law – (Natasha Hausdorff, UK Lawyers For Israel)
- Engaging with MPs about Balfour (Michael McCann, Israel Britain Alliance)